Coronavirus latest news: Shielded groups may get exclusive access to shops under new plans – Telegraph.co.uk
The Government has abandoned a pledge to regularly test all people in care homes from this summer, it has been reported.
In a memo sent to local authority chief executives on Friday and reported by The Sunday Times, the government’s adult social care testing director said the promise was being dropped.
“Previously advised timelines for rolling out regular testing in care homes” were being axed because of “unexpected delays”, Professor Jane Cummings said.
The decision, which would throw into chaos the Government’s test and trace system, appears to roll back on a pledge of regular testing of nearly two million care home residents and staff.
Testing was planned to start on July 6, but delayed, and Prof Cummings said that the earliest date by which it would reach care homes was now September 7.
The newspaper also reports that another memo sent to health officials last week said that nearly two-thirds of care homes had not yet had a round of asymptomatic testing, and only about a third of homes had been sent testing equipment.
Angela Rayner, Labour’s deputy leader, said the decision was an « utter disgrace ».